Friday, May 2, 2008

It's a Shame

There are reasons for everything. Reasons why the sun sets when it does. Reasons why certain dogs bark and while others remain docile and congenial. Reasons why some people, mostly children without their consent, chose to watch the film "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium." There are reasons for everything and we will never understand all of them.

It's the way God works. It's the circle of Life. It's the way the cookie crumbles. It is....what it is.

If You Will...

I know it is a odd way to start out a blog. Yet, I am trying to find reason. Reason as to why Saturday Night Live cast members have a hard time transitioning into normal entertainment life.

While I cannot and will not take the time to go into all former SNL cast members. I am will use some examples to show that Saturday Night Life cast members have a hard time functioning outside of their Saturday Night Lives.

Before we start, I just have to say that I love SNL even though it seems to have taken a turn for the worse after Will Ferrell left to make a carrer out of rehashing annoying characters in movie after movie after movie. (Again, I tread lightly because I love Will Ferrell on Snl and Anchorman but come on....Talladega Nights? Blades of Glory? Semi-Pro?)

I'm getting off track. I love Saturday Night Live, but these hilarious people who make this show what it is cannot get their crap together when it comes to the real world.

First Example:

Eddie Murphy - While he was on top of the world in the 80's as an SNL cast member. The 90's and so on have proved that he is a complete and utter disaster. While his early films such as Beverly Hills Cop 1 though 3 put money in his bank account, it didn't do much for his credibility as an actor. However, I have to admit I like this movies and won't bash on them. Let's not get ahead of ourselves though, because the latter half of the 90's gave us a slew of films that showed us what Eddie was truly made of: A burnout. Holy Man. Bowfinger. Nutty Professor. I-Spy. Daddy Day Care. and let's not forget his crowning achievement, Norbit. In which he not only starred in, he also produced, wrote it, and pretty much did anything he could for a bigger paycheck. Even when he did have a somewhat interesting role in Dream Girls, he stormed out of the Academy Awards when he didn't win best actor. Which is really sad because that was and most likely will be the only time he comes close to winning an award. Yet, as always, he is a failure.

Next Example:

Dana Carvey- First and foremost I think this man is hilarious. His stand up is outstanding and he is just a hoot for me. However, my personal love for him couldn't stop him from making "The Master of Diguise." However, he learned his lesson and pretty decided not to make a film after that so I have to say we all make mistakes, but he still made "The Master of Disguise."

Next Example:

Jim Breuer - hahahahaha

Next Example:

Dan Ackroyd - While we may all love Dan. He has had one of the worst transitions of all. He didn't even start off promising. While he did Blues Brothers in 1980 which is a cult classic, he has also done "Pearl Harbor" (I know...horrible...right), "Earth Vs. Spider", Brittany Spear's "Crossroads", "Christmas with the Kranks", and last and certainly least "I know pronounce you Chuck and Larry." I cannot even go on, this is too depressing.

Next Example:

Molly Shannon - She was in "Superstar" right? I don't know. Did you see it? I didn't! I bet you did. Well....If not you then who? I guess nobody? She's gross.

Next Example:

Chris Kattan - Undercover Brother, Santa's Slay, Corky Romano, Monkey Bone. This man may have it the worst.

While I don't want to go on because I am sure you guys stopped reading long ago. There is one exception to the mix.

Steve Martin - While he has had his moments of stupidity, Cheaper by the Dozen 1 & 2. He did make the Jerk and Planes Trains and Automobiles. Also, he picked up a writing career that has saved him from a lot of things. Overall, he is ok in my book.

This blog is wayyyy to long. I have made my point

3 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all...

Eddie Murphy - Coming to America. RAW. Shrek. Mulan...and I thought I-Spy was actually pretty funny.

Steve Martin - Father of the Bride 1 and 2, The Three Amigos.

But I ask...have you seen Shopgirl? Yuck.

These are my only objections to your blog. I feel like a lot of comedians do really great early stuff but then they have kids and decide to clean up their mouths and start doing G and PG movies.

Anonymous said...

Well...Andy

As to your comment about Eddie Murphy, I guess I did overlook Coming to America and Raw. Yet, in my blog I was really trying to show that the 80's were his heyday while the 90's showed us what he is.

Shrek and Mulan may have been good films but anyone can do a voice. Disney/Pixar will be successful really no matter who does the voice. He didn't carry the film, he was a voice that came up once and a while and that is why I overlooked those films.

I-Spy? Really? Gross

Steve Martin... I know... That is why I said he is ok in my book.

I agree with you. I think they do have kids and decided to make movies that their kids can watch. Yet, can't they at least find good ones? Cheaper by the Dozen? Gross

Anonymous said...

"Docile and congenial." Really?

I don't know Reid, there have been plenty of successful SNL alums: Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Mike Myers, just to name a few. If we're judging purely on box office returns and not on quality of work, it's pretty hard to argue with Eddie Murphy's career (and you know how hard it is for me to defend Eddie Murphy).

-48 Hours (1982) -- $79 mil
-Trading Places (1983) -- $90 mil
-Beverly Hills Cop (1984) -- $234 mil
-The Golden Child (1986) -- $79 mil
-Beverly Hills Cop 2 (1987) -- $153 mil
-Coming To America (1988) -- $128 mil
-Another 48 Hours (1990) -- $80 mil
-Boomerang (1992) -- $70 mil
-Nutty Professor (1996) -- $128 mil
-Mulan (voice) (1998) -- $120 mil
-Dr. Dolittle (1998) -- $144 mil
-Life (1999) -- $75 mil
-Nutty Professor 2 (2000) -- $123 mil
-Shrek (2001) -- $267 mil
-Dr. Dolittle 2 (2002) -- $112 mil
-Daddy Day Care (2003) -- $104 mil
-Shrek 2 (2004) -- $441 mil (!)
-Dreamgirls (2006) -- $103 mil
-Norbit (2007) -- $95 mil
-Shrek The Third (2007) -- $322 mil

That's about as steady a career as you'll find. Again, if we're judging by box office and not by quality, it's hard to argue with his legacy.

God, it hurts defending him...

PS: Go see Baby Mama and watch Steve Martin's character and tell me he's not one of the best comedians of our generation.

PPS: Having kids doesn't necessarily impact an actor or director's work. Stanley Kubrick had kids. The reason why guys like Eddie Murphy and Mike Myers go the G/PG route is because they make a ton of money with those demographics. Those guys couldn't headline an R movie if their lives depended on it, but they sure as hell can make little kids and housewives laugh by imitating donkeys and giant ogers.