Friday, July 11, 2008

My Osment Moment

Something horrible happened yesterday

I was in my Intro to Lit class when I realized that I misplaced my writing utensil. This didn't phase me until the teacher asked the class to complete a writing assignment. After a brief panic attack, I asked the girl in front of me if I could use a pen. There was a verbal response, I think, and shortly after she handed me the pen. I was so happy. That moment restored my faith in humanity. War, Genocide, Hunger...these were all thrown to the curb because this little act of kindness made me forget about the bad things in the world. In return, I wanted to do something nice for someone else. I desired to "pay it forward" if you will. I wanted to be like Haley Joel Osment without the DUI and marijuana possession charges.

However, as soon as my little "Osment" moment came, it went.

The girl that lent me the pen uttered two words that changed my life.

As soon as she handed me the pen she said, "Keep It"

At first, I thought to myself, "What a sweetheart! Me? Keep It? Oh, I don't think I could do something like...Thank You"

Yet, after thinking about it I realized that she didn't want it back because she probably thinks that I am a filthy human being. After my vile hands touched her precious Bic Pen, how could she ever take it back?

What did I do? It really cut me to the core. I felt helpless. Like Haley Joel Osment must feel like right when he thinks about his career.

You know, I enjoyed the Sixth Sense, but never when I first saw it did I think him and I would have so much in common.

No comments: