Saturday, October 18, 2008

They're Coming to Get Your Barbara!


This weekend I am visiting my friend Jonny yet again in San Francisco. While it is always whimically ostensibly great to come here, tonight was especially wonderful.

We attended the Castro Theatre's "Shock It To Me" Festival.

The night consisted of a double feature of classic horror movies, Spider Baby and Night of the Living Dead. On top of this, the event was hosted by Ms.Monster, whom apparently is a national icon. As if this wasn't enough, Sid Haig was also there. If you are not familiar with this name, don't worry. Even if you "googled" him you probably wouldn't recognize him. Yet, for the .1% of morons who are familiar with his work in extremely low budget horror films, it was quite a treat.

While the movies were great to see on the big screen, I couldn't help but think about our host Ms. Monster. As the picture shows, she is a woman whom covers herself in blueish/green paint and makes appearances at horror movie conventions for a living. I just wondered how someone gets into that line of work. I cannot imagine that she makes really good money and I don't think her parents are super proud of their little girl's career choice. I just wonder where the satisfaction comes from. Who am I judge right?

I guess we all want attention. Heck I am probably just jealous that I didn't think of it first. She did make the event better, which in turn made me have a more enjoyable experience.

So in the end, I am proud of Ms. Monster. You go girl. You are the American dream.

Forget Joe the Plumber, the real working class hero is Ms. Monster.

Think about it, I just did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You think that's a depressing job, how about her associate, Ms. Misery? She's nowhere near as attractive, she probably gets overlooked but every guy as a freaky Magic: The Gathering fan, AND she gets no mention on your blog.

Talk about a thankless job...

Schlaeps said...

On a completely unrelated note, Moritz Bleibtreu (specifically, him as the "Grey Ghost" in Speed Racer) looks exactly like you.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know how to comment about her. She isn't a national icon. She is iconic in her own mind.

Just Filth