Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Time Magazine Has Lost All Credibility

I have a love/hate relationship with top ten lists. Some people actually put some thought into theirs and can express what they feel are their top favorite albums of the year. Others just throw together every album they can think of and don't really have to pick and choose. While others, just seem to compile a list of many different genres of music just to build "Street Cred."

A good example of this is seen with Time Magazine's Top Ten Albums of the Year. I was initially drawn to it because it has Mastodon's Crack the Skye on it, which happens to be one of my favorite albums of the year. Then I made the mistake of looking at their other selections. While I don't want to go into every horrible decision they made, I will highlight one. They gave Brad Paisley the best album of the year. Aside from the fact that I despise nearly everything on CMT, Time Magazine didn't really have a good reason as to why is was their favorite album. This was part of what they said about it,

"The real risk-taking emerges on his songs about women, which, as on the brilliant "The Pants," manage to be funny, sexy and sensitive: "In the top drawer of her dresser there's some panties/ Go try on that purple pair with the lacy frill/ With your big old thighs I bet you can't get in 'em/ With that attitude of yours, hell, I bet you never will."

The great thing is that I don't have to make a joke, since it is not funny. It is sad.

3 comments:

Ed Gein said...

Crack The Skye is one of your favorite albums of the year? Are you backtracking?

Reid said...

Not at all. I just haven't published my list of best albums of this year and wanted to keep it suspenseful. Thanks for ruining everything.

Maybe it isn't my favorite. Who knows. Maybe something came along in the past 24 hours that changed everything? You'll find out!

Anonymous said...

You're right. No joke needed, the lyrics speak for themselves.