Monday, November 23, 2009

Book Review: I Drink For A Reason




Welcome to the next installment of Reid reviews books.

While this has not been formally announced, I will be using this blog to also review books that I have been reading. While I do enjoy movies and music, I have never felt really comfortable reviewing them. I don't always catch on to the Freudian undertones that are so pervasive in movies such as X-Men 3: The Last Stand. I didn't really catch on to the post 9/11 themes prevalent in The Scorpion King. However, I do feel like I can understand books well enough to guide the masses. (By masses I mean the 2 followers who currently subscribe to my blog) I am not applying for a job at the New Yorker anytime soon, but I am a fairly consistent reader and feel I can come up with a unique take on a book. If I fail to do so, I will read other reviews of the book and blatantly rip off their ideas and pass them off as my very own. (I'm desperate for respect) In my reviews, I will also use one big word that shouldn't be used. I will use this to A:) Sound very intelligent and B:) See A

Tonight's review is of David Cross' I Drink For A Reason:

My initial thought when gazing at the cover of this book was "Yipee! I love David Cross. His book will bring me enjoyment on many different occasions." (Keep in mind I am paraphrasing and taking many liberties with my memories) I love David Cross' comedy specials and his character on Arrested Development was amazing, so how could I go wrong? Simple. Him not writing a very good book.

Once in a while Cross' stand up comedy relies on his sardonic observations on life. He usually does a pretty good job of riding the fine line between bitter commentary and sheer comedic genius. Yet, it seems as though on this writing venture he drank a bottle of Jamison Irish Whiskey, threw caution to the wind, wrote this book containing nothing but his hatred for all aspects of life, and mostly likely concluded the night by getting into an argument with his sprinkler system.

This is not a very flattering side of David. He does seem to be a very intelligent man and I will still call myself a fan of his, but he still is an entertainer. If this was a book by Dr. Sanjay Gupta, I would probably give him a pass because his job isn't to make us laugh. (Even though his newest book Cheating Death has been known to make people snicker once and a while) Yet, David is a comedian and I rarely even smiled during this book. Critics of my blog, if I ever have any, will say that David's style of humor is very deadpan. I appreciate that when there is a payoff. This book was so deadpan that is never came to life for me. (Does the Pulitzer Committee award excellence in blogging?)

If you are a person who is parsimonious (look it up), then don't waste your time on this book. Even if you are loaded, don't spend time on this book. If you're an anthropology major who hates everything anyway, you'll love it.

I give this book 1 dead horse out of 4.

4 comments:

Christian Warne said...

i listening to the first chapter of this book and didn't like it all.

seriously the next book you should review is the andre Agassi book. that is my next book I want to tackle.

i like your book reviews p.s.

The Masses said...

Thanks for the shout out!

Jonny said...

I'm guessing that David Cross' book probably isn't dense in style or prose; therefore, I find it hilarious that it's available in audio book format.

Reid, I have a question: you correctly pointed out that David Cross' comedic style is extremely deadpan. You then went on to say that you like that style, but that you need some sort of payoff. What kind of payoff are you referring to? It seems to me that most deadpan comics offer little if any payoff to their routines, because doing so can really undermine the "deadpan" aspect.

PS: Would you consider "sardonic" a big word? If so, then that's two big words you used in your review. Please clarify.

Reid Volk said...

Jonny,

Sorry for my late response. The holiday weekends got the best of me (and my waistline! I'm so bad. LOLZ)

Yes I think deadpan comics offer little payoff in their routine because that is their style, yet I still feel like the common man can still find a joke in there.

I don't feel like much of the statements in this book were jokes. As much as I thought about some of his statements, there was no irony, or "that is an interesting observation."

You may be deadpan, but in the end you have to be a comic and the only person I could think of finding this book funny is: Richard Dawkins, Nathan Brown, and the corpse of a dog.

You see what I mean?