Friday, July 17, 2009

Comfort Betrays

I like foods that are good. I know that seems simple enough but it really isn't. Although "Good" can be defined in myriad different ways, it is sad just how many foods out there aren't "good." I believe that good foods are ones that are good through and through. Good presentation, good taste, good nutrients. If one of the elements is missing in the culinary trinity, then I don't believe that it could be called a "good food." If a waiter brings you something that looks awful but tastes delicious, you most likely exclaim, "This actually tastes pretty good for how bad it looks!."

I know your thinking to yourself, "Reid....Reid.....Reid....Nachos happen to be very delicious and when I eat them I think,'boy these are good!.'" While it may appear that you have me cornered you do not at all. One because this is my blog and I can simply delete any seditious comments. But more importantly while you may think the nachos taste good, you know in the back of your head that you feel guilty for indulging in deep fried Tostitos swimming in synthetic "cheese." You never go home from gorging yourself on nachos truly believing in your heart that you made nothing but good decisions throughout the day. Therefore, in my logic, it is not a food that is good through and through.

Two foods for me fit this bill. Sandwiches and Burritos

Yes the sandwich. I am not talking about Paninis stuffed with oozing gobs of mozzarella. I am talking about the good old sandwich. Meat, Bread, and vegetables, together in an ensemble of delight and stuffed in your face.

Burritos. This one is a slippery slope because if one lacks discipline, a visit to Taqueria Vallarta may turn out to be more dangerous than drinking a 8 ounce glass of used mop water, with Pine-sol. If once just has the tortilla and simply fills it with beans and rice (protein power combo), and a meager portion of meat, than your body will be thrilled.

On top of the great taste of these two items and nutritional value, they are very easy on the eyes. I am salivating just thinking of these two treats and I don't think it is going to up the resale of my Powerbook if there is severe water damage.

Added Bonus Alert! They both fit in your hand. No fork included, no two ways to go about it. They go from your hand to your mouth. Have you ever seen someone eat a burrito with a fork? I know they are trying to be polite but it ends up just being really sad. I pray for those people, whatever is causing them to partake in this erratic behavior.

Anyway, if you can think of any other food that fits this bill let me know. If not, leave me comments to delete.

No comments: